Saturday, July 9, 2011

Lavender Days

 
I don't know what it is about herbs that just enchants me. It could be their history, or their usefulness. But I think it is more the plants themselves. I love the way they look, whether in flower or not, and the varied fragrances. I just feel good walking through my herb garden. I pick one leaf and then another, sniffing and sometimes tasting. Watching the insects they attract and checking for swallowtail butterfly caterpillars on the fennel.

I do use some herbs for cooking, especially dill, sage, rosemary, basil, and thyme. And through the years I have done quite a few crafts with herbs; wreaths, potpourri, and sachets. My favorite herbs for crafting are lemon verbena and lavender.


I've got the lavender picked now. (I do leave a some for the bees.) Then I spend some time rubbing the buds from the stems. Now I've got a few jars of lavender for the embroidered sachets I will make this winter.


Sometimes I make lavender wands, but they take a lot of time. I love the look and use them to scent my linens.

We are having a weather- perfect summer weekend. Planning to do some swimming, gardening, and maybe a hike. Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Sunny Simple Life said...

Lavender is my favorite too. Cute all that you do with them. I only cut a few sprigs here and there. You are ever so handy girl!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That embroidered sachet is just beautiful! Will those be gifts? I love how herbs are so useful and beautiful!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Beautiful pictures of your yard and herbs. I need to do something with all our lavender. Your ideas are very inspirational.

vivian said...

I love your gardens! And lavender is one of my favorite garden scents..as is lilly of the valley and lilacs! When I grow up I want to have sweet gardens like yours! lol!!
have a great day
vivian

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love lavender and have it here and there throughout my home! A lavender wand? I've never seen one of those! WOW! How pretty and decorative! I love your pretty sachet with the lavender embroidery, too! I think I'm drooling! lol ♥