Sunday, July 17, 2011

Backyard Nature Center



 
We are a family of nature lovers and have tried to make our property inviting to all sorts of creatures. We have a barn full of bats and swallows. A small pond that's home to frogs, toads, and fish. Several birdbaths, feeders, and houses for different types of birds. Lots of fruit and berry producing bushes and trees. Uncleared areas that provide homes and protection for all sorts of critters. And LOTS of flowers.

So, we decided we should put out an official welcome mat:


We put these signs on the fence by the pond and butterfly garden. Though I saw several monarchs today, I never had the camera with me. I did get a few pictures of this tiger swallowtail on the oregano:


The flower beds are in full bloom and looking better than ever.






We are busy harvesting, canning, freezing and eating the produce from our garden. And the tomatoes are starting to be ready. Yeah!

Cucumbers


Acorn squash and tomatoes 

Green beans



Different peppers

Today we had Andrew, Alison, and Tad over to celebrate Alison's birthday. I made Texas barbecue sandwiches, coleslaw, green bean and tomato salad, and cherry cheesecake bars. Andrew brought a loaf of his good homemade bread. I didn't take any food pictures because I was too busy with this little guy:

Isn't he a cutie-pie?

4 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

You have a beautiful yard. All your flowers and vegetables are just lovely. Your grandson is indeed a cutie pie. Have fun spoiling him.

Sheila said...

You have such a lovely garden. Love all the pictures. And o can't believe how big Tad is getting. They change so fast.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy how have you been? Your place looks enchanting everything is coming along beautifully! Tad is adorable, I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off of him you must be so happy! I must catch up on your posts I've seen dill pickles my favorite and herbs <3. Kiss the baby for me!
Hugs Rosemary
P.S. yes it is acanthus, it was difficult to grow at first the plant must like the heat were having this year. xo

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

What a cutie!

Your flower beds are just gorgeous. Everything looks so good! We're a Wildlife Habitat as well, I'll have to look in to the Monarch Waystation.