Tuesday, October 16, 2012

An Interesting Weekend


 Before the rain started on Saturday we were doing some touch up painting around the windows and front door. And looking at all that white paint I noticed quite a few new "floaters" in my right eye. Now, I've had floaters for awhile, more in the last two years. So I was just irritated to get so many more. Then when I went inside where it was darker, I noticed these light flashes in the corner of my eye. Not good! My eye doctor had warned me about this.


I was able to get in touch with him, even though he was out of town, and he said I could go to the emergency room or just lay down and he would see me early Monday morning. Rick was more worried than I was, but I decided to wait. And after a million pictures to my dilated eye, I was told I had a PVD (posterior vitreous detachment). Not sight-threatening and fairly common in people over 50. Another fun advantage to getting older!


It took forever for my eye to un-dilate. I went to work looking like an alien:) I couldn't see well and the younger women I work with kept asking me if I was OK. (The doctor said I shouldn't lift anything over 5 pounds.) I have to go back to see him in a month, there is still a chance of a tear in the retina. Yikes!

The weekend wasn't a total waste. We went to my girlfriends' house for dinner. They had their granddaughter with them, and Andrew, Alison and Tad came too, so we got to see the two babies play together. And Linda made 5 different kinds of soup! She cooks once a week because they both work and commute. She is the best cook and we all ate too much.


So except for seeing spiders and gnats all the time (the floaters) I'm doing alright. The house is decorated for fall, the house trim is painted, and now that the rain has stopped I can get the gardens cleaned up for winter.
Fun times!

7 comments:

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Isn't getting older so much fun? I do hope it is nothing too serious. Your decorating is so nice, I just love all the little touches and your front door looks great! 5 different kinds of soup sounds like a perfect meal to me and watching babies play, now that is heaven. Sending positive thoughts your way. xx

Shannon@A Cozy Place Called Home said...

I hope your eye heals quickly and no procedure will be needed. My Dad has large floaters that annoy him but his doctor says he is will just have to get used to them. He doesn't have a detached retina like you have. Your fall decorations look very pretty. Your front door is a beautiful color. I enjoy seeing all the wonderful colors and textures of fall. Feel better soon!! ---------- Shannon

Diane Mars said...

Hope you are doing better~ Your decorations look wonderful! Hugs, Diane

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Yikes! Something to look forward to - at least if it happens I'll know what it is :) I hope you're doing better and that you don't need surgery.

Anonymous said...

That sounds scary Cindy, I hope you will heal and not have any surgery.
Glad your decorated for fall and I hope you get some dry weather to finish your gardening.
Take Care Rosemary...xoxo

20 North Ora said...

Nice time of the year to paint. Your decor looks really nice. Hope your eyes are okay and continue to get better.

Judy

Helen Philipps said...

Hope your eye heals quickly and needs no further treatment, Cindy. I loved seeing all your delightful Halloween decorations in this post.
Helen x