Friday, April 29, 2011

Garden Tour Part Three

I'm here to show another part of our yard. This area is what we have always called the shade garden, but this spring we had two huge maples removed, so it's not so shady now! We tried to plant a new tree near the old one, but couldn't because of the roots. I'm not sure what will happen to the shade loving plants. I plan on moving a few, and keeping the rest well watered, and hope for the best.



 This shade garden is really best in the spring. The crabapple, redbud, and sand cherry are all in bloom, plus I have put in quite a few bulbs here.



I love the bleeding heart and wood poppy, and they reseed easily. A friend gave me a few bluebells and they are spredding, as are the marsh marigolds. I have slowly been adding some woodland plants, such as jack-in-the-pulpit, bloodroot, phlox, and trillium.



And you can see that I have quite a few hostas, and those ferns are a great fill in plant.

When it comes time to add annuals, I will plant impatiens around to add summer color. I also like to pot up some coleus and what ever else looks good and put them around the garden.

Well, speaking of annuals, I think I am going to the garden center today and see what they have out. It's one of my favorite things to do every year - that first big plant shopping trip of the spring. Heaven!

Oh, and on Sunday we are going to my daughter-in-law's baby shower. B-day is coming soon! I can't hardly wait to cuddle that little boy!

6 comments:

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Just lovely! Have fun at the baby shower........hope you are holding your grandbaby soon! blessings,Kathleen

Kerin said...

Once again, thanks for sharing your beautiful gardens with us. I sooo long to get my gardens in! Do you have issues with deer in your part of the country? We have a lot of deer, but for the most part, they head back into the mountains for the summer. What variety of ferns do you grow? I had cinnamon ferns years ago, and have thought about growing some lady ferns to go along with fresh floral arrangements.
Hope you have a wonderful time at the baby shower and a great weekend :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Those trees are so pretty planted close together! What a joy to see them in bloom! ♥

Unknown said...

Hi Cindy, What a lovely tour! Color everywhere, beautiful! What I love most about this post is the way your house sits away from the road with that slight incline. I always notice yards like this when I am driving in the country, and just love the nostalgic look of the roads in relationship to the house. Have a wonderful spring week ahead! Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable Cindy! I can't get over how your gardens are coming along already! I've said it before, your place is stunning. There's something very charming about the country.

Thanks for the birthday greeting. Let me know when yours is! And no lying about your age, ok? :)

Happy Mothers Day!
Rosemary...XX

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I love your header, can't wait to see your garden in full bloom! I am your newest follower too!