Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Weekend


We had a very good weekend because we got to see all our boys. On Saturday we went to Chicago to see our oldest, Justin, who is finishing up his dissertation for a PhD in philosophy. We spent the afternoon at the Chicago Botanic Gardens. Even though it is only 2 1/2 hours north of us, they are about 2 weeks behind us in spring. So we were able to enjoy daffodils and other early spring flowers again.

Look at all these daffodils!

Beautiful Japanese gardens.

Lovely flowers.

Some good ideas.
 
These are my handsome boys, Justin (29), and Eric (20). Eric is a sophomore majoring in chemistry. Our other son Andrew (26) and his wife couldn't come with us this time. And if you wondering about the beards, look at their dad:


For Easter dinner at home I served baked ham, cauliflower salad, biscuits, and deviled eggs. Andrew and Alison brought a warm potato salad, and meatballs. For dessert I made carrot cake. I had fun making these almond paste carrots:

I topped the cake with finely ground nuts because the frosting didn't go on very smoothly:) The terracotta bunny is from the gift shop at the Botanic Gardens.

My last crafting  project for Easter was these decorated eggs I made from blown out eggs. I painted, glittered and gussied them up with flowers, ribbon, and lace.



I did this last Thursday. All  weekend I had plugged up ears like you get when you've been on an airplane. But it wasn't until last night that I put two and two together.  If I do this again I'm getting one of those "baby baster" thingys to do it!

I hope everyone had a great weekend with their families enjoying this wonderful season.

2 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a great weekend and a beautiful cake ! The men in your life are all very handsome! I have 4 sons! AND..I have a terracotta bunny just like yours! Isn't it fun when that happens! Enjoy your week! ♥

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with your beautiful family. Your cake looks so delicious! The eggs you made are beautiful Cindy sorry I had to laugh about your ears....I've never tried that tea before but I will! I always love to try something new. The botanical gardens looked great but were even further behind then that. My daffodils have not even opened yet and I have no idea what happened to all my snowdrops.
Have a wonderful week,
Rosemary...XX