Monday, August 15, 2016

Tomato Season




What do you do when you have a million tomatoes? Well, you eat tomatoes at every meal and then you make sauce. We have had this handy dandy press for about 30 years and it does a good job of skinning and getting the seeds out. I then cooked the sauce down until it was good and thick, and packed it up in freezer containers. Now we have sauce for soups and spaghetti.


In April we went down to visit our son in Louisville and took a short side trip to a favorite herb farm in southern Indiana, Stream Cliff. The gardens weren't doing anything of course, but the tea room was very busy. And when we finally got a table we could see why. The food was delicious! I ordered a grilled cheese, tomato and pesto sandwich and it was so good. I knew I had to try and recreate it when the tomatoes were ripe. I think I did a pretty good job. Having good bread that would grill nice and crisp was key. And fresh pesto. It was so good! I want to make it again right now:)

I hope everyone has a great week and gets to enjoy some yummy fresh tomatoes!

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Yum... that plateful of food looks fabulous! Fresh pesto?... give me a spoon! :-P

Carol said...

Wow! That is a lot of tomatoes! I sure wish we had that luck. Our garden has really been going downhill the past few years--not sure if the soil has a fungus or it is our weather. Very frustrating for my husband...

Enjoy all that sauce this winter :)

Helen Philipps said...

Delicious tomatoes, Cindy...and what a wonderful gadget! Love the photo on your header....such a beautiful garden.
Happy new week.
Helen xox

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, fresh tomatoes are my dream! We always have such cool starts to our summers that tomatoes just languish on the vine, so I have to rely on the markets. I like your tomato mill - what a great device! Fresh sauce all winter sounds wonderful. There is nothing better than biting into a sun-warmed tomato! The sandwich looks wonderful. Hope you are enjoying these last days of summer. Hugs xo Karen

Weekend-Windup said...

I love to have dishes with tomato. It taste good.

vivian said...

I so admire people that garden and do all that canning! I guess thats just not in me. :( lol! and omg... now I want that sandwhich.. right now... for breakfast! Have a great weekend my friend!
xoxo
vivian