Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Preserving Summer

Do you remember, back in March, those 80 degree days? And then the freeze in April? I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone that the weather this spring did a number on all the fruit grown in the midwest.
This is the sum total of our summer fruit harvest, except for one bowl of strawberries, which was gone before a picture could be taken.:)


For some reason the red raspberries did OK. Maybe because they flower and set fruit later than the other fruits. We gobbled them up as they ripened and I was able to save back enough to make these jars of jelly.

I did buy some strawberries from the grocery store to make our favorite strawberry jam. But it wasn't quite as good as the homegrown strawberry jam. I'm already looking forward to next summer's fruit harvest. I just know it will be a great one!

4 comments:

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Raspberry jam sounds so good right now! They sure look pretty on the windowsill. It's been a crazy year for weather everywhere. We are finally having our 'summer' after a very cold and rainy start that lasted into July. Since then it has only rained once. I do hope next year is better for everyone! xx

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

Your jars look so pretty lined up on the window sill. I was at the grocery store today and there was NO apple cider. Do you know if the apples were affected by our strange weather? This is probably a question only a city girl could ask :)

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

I love this photo! No matter how they can be stacked or photographed, home canned goodness is just lovely!!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Those jars look so pretty! It was a hard summer in my garden. I hardly got any blackberries or raspberries this year. It was just too dry I think.