Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Scrappy Log Cabin Quilt and Pin Cushion











I have been wanting to make a log cabin quilt similar to the one made by Mias Landliv. (Her blog is closed  now, but you can see her quilt on Pinterest.) I went through my scraps and pulled out the colors I wanted to use. Not enough. So I made the trip to my not so local QS and picked up mostly French General prints. Perfect! I had forgotten how fast and easy strip piecing can be. It went together just like I wanted and in a few days it was ready to be quilted. But it will have to wait. I'm quilting another one right now and want to get it finished first.

While I had those pretty fabrics out I decided to make a pincushion based on one from Heidi Staples new book. I changed it up a little and added a place to put my quilting thread. My husband says it was about time I made something like this as we are always searching the sofa for lost scissors or thimbles! I love having everything handy in a cute place.

We took our grandson down to Turkey Run State Park on Saturday. We usually don't go there on the weekend but we thought the rainy weather would keep most people away. Wrong!!! Anyway, we had a wonderful time with this enthusiastic, smart boy. He loves nature just like his daddy and uncles, and it brought back so many memories as we hiked along the creek. We love this boy, and can't wait until the twins are ready to do this as well!

6 comments:

Carol said...

What pretty colors you chose, Cindy! I love the look of both the quilt and the pincushion. And the pocket for your scissors is a great idea, too. Is the spool of thread attached, too? Genius!!

What a fun time at the State Park--I can hardly wait to be a grandma, but it looks like I'm at least a few years away. Sigh...

Happy May to you!

Helen Philipps said...

I LoVe your gorgeous log cabin quilt and pin cushion, Cindy! Such lovely colours and fabrics.....really pretty effects.
Happy weekend.
Helen xox

gillyflower said...

Cindy your quilt is beautiful!!! Just love the fabrics you choose in reds and blues, French General is a real favourite of mine. I have three of her lovely books! Look forward to seeing it finished too.
Its such a shame Mia's blog cant be viewed now, I loved seeing her quilts, home and garden photos.
The pincushion is perfect! Must check out the book.
Glad you had a good time with your grandson!
Gill xx

Julie @ The Crafty Quilter said...

I love the colors of your scrappy log cabin quilt! I've even pinned it so I can remember what it looks like and start saving my scraps. What a nice way to spend the day with your grandson!

Lady Linda said...

I just adore that little pinkeep! Really charming and so cute. Your quilt is lovely too.

murielle said...

Your quilt is beautiful. Just love the fabrics you choose
I love your pincushion
Murielle