Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas Cookies

Last Sunday we had our grandson Tad over for the afternoon to cut out and decorate sugar cookies. It brought back so many memories of doing this very thing with our boys through the years.

This is serious work!
I've learned the easiest way to do cookie decorating with little boys is to put out a cookie sheet for them to work over so as not to get sprinkles all over the floor. Don't forget one of Grandpa's old t-shirts.  And to have the best time - don't worry about making a tray of perfectly frosted cookies! Let them have fun and do it the way they want. To us, they are all masterpieces. And the cookies taste just as good. Probably better because of who did them!



Besides the sugar cookies, I made chocolate mint ( made with Andes pieces), Mexican wedding cakes, chocolate caramel thumbprints, and Santa's whiskers. I make up large batches pf each and freeze them. When we have company or go somewhere, I just take out some from each bag and make up a plate.  (If anyone wants recipes, just let me know.)


As it turns out we are not doing our family Christmas until next weekend. Justin can not be here until then and we all decided it was better to wait and have everyone here together. That works out well for Andrew and Alison. They are hosting her family's dinner tomorrow and of course, Santa will have been there. It will give them time to recover and the kids time to play with their toys before another round of festivities at our house. Eric, Rick and I will have a small dinner and maybe some games of Scrabble tomorrow. Very low key, but nice. I can't wait, though, for Tad to open his gifts from us. So fun to have little ones at Christmas!

I'm wishing you all a very happy holiday with your loved ones! See you next year!

2 comments:

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

So precious, Cindy - and thank you for the tips on cookie decorating with little ones - I will need that soon with my grandson! I'm so glad that you will get to celebrate with everyone and having two weekends to do that is extra special. The cookies look so good! So, I will wish you a Merry Christmas even though I am late, and a very Happy and blessed New Year! Hugs xo Karen

vivian said...

I like the tshirt over the clothes idea! I decorated cookies with torry, marla and violet this year.. Im still finding sprinkles on the floor! lol! but they enjoyed it so and that makes it all worth while!
Happy New year!!!
xoxo
vivian